Saturday, August 11, 2007

On Home Ownership

About 2-1/2 years ago I bought a nice little two bedroom home in the north part of the city. After living in Fremont for seven years it was quite a change, but my apartment building had been sold. I didn't want to continue renting and I couldn't afford a house in Fremont (Good luck finding anything decent for under $500K). After looking for about 3 months I finally found a place liked and moved in shortly thereafter.

Up until that point I rarely ate at home, I would eat out or be out with friends almost every night. Why stay home when there was so much to do within walking distance! Cheap rent made that an easy lifestyle to maintain. But suddenly my cost of living quadrupled, which pretty much put an end to my casual spending days and what spare money I did have went into home improvements like updating the kitchen, landscaping, garage door openers, patios. Long story short, home and house became the focus of my time.

It was difficult for the first year. I didn't have the habit of cooking regularly and just staying in, but now staying at home tending to the yard or some such thing is a joy. I think the reason for this simple sense of satisfaction comes from the same source that causes construction workers to have the highest job satisfaction of any career: The results of the work are tangible. All I have to do is look at the dahlis and lilies or smell the roses and lavender to feel connected to my efforts. These things are sometimes lost of my girlfriend who has lived in very urban settings most of her life and would prefer to pay someone to beautify her home. I can understand her mindset, but I cannot afford such services, nor would I want to let someone else do something I can do myself. My grandfather, father and brother are all the same way...Must be genetic!

Ah well. so much for the first post. Cheers and health to you.

No comments: